Comprehension Unit 3

Std 10 English — Unit 3: An Interview with Arun Krishnamurthy

Std 10 English — Section A Solutions

Unit 3: An Interview with Arun Krishnamurthy
(1) The First Activity
A beautiful lake next to my house, which once had a lot of birds, frogs and snakes, was heavily polluted. It led to the spread of mosquitoes and turned a lovely place into an ugly neighbourhood. This hurt me badly and I wanted to do something about it. I got together with a couple of my friends and cleaned the pond next to my house. This was the first activity.
1. Why was Arun hurt?
Ans - Arun was hurt because a lake next to his house was so polluted that it spread mosquitoes and turned the place into an ugly neighbourhood.
2. What did Arun do?
Ans - Arun got together with a couple of his friends and cleaned the pond next to his house.
(2) Teachers and Humility
I have teachers who taught me how to go about things. They also taught me humility so that I did not become snobbish or arrogant and start thinking I was a superstar because I was doing all this environment work. They taught me to be simple and keep learning all the time. I am not an activist, I am an environmentalist. I have learnt so much by doing this work.
1. What did Arun's teachers teach him?
Ans - Arun's teachers taught him to be humble, simple and keep learning all the time.
2. What does Arun call himself?
Ans - Arun calls himself an environmentalist.
(3) Quitting Google for EFI
It is always good to decide in favour of what you really love to do. I quit my job at Google, but I still keep in touch with my friends there. So only my duties at Google have come to an end, not my emotional bond.

I understood that I had to leave the job at that minute in 2010, or else I would never be daring enough to do so. I could not sit back and enjoy life when environmental damage was happening on such a large scale. I wanted to do something and that something needed my full attention. So I left Google for EFI.
1. Why does Arun say that only his duties at Google have come to an end?
Ans - Arun quit his job at Google, but he is still in touch with his friends there and so he says that only his duties at Google have come to an end, not his emotional bond.
2. Why did Arun quit his job?
Ans - Arun did not want to sit back and enjoy life when environmental damage was happening on a large scale, so he quit his job to work to save the environment.
(4) Pollution in Lakes
Everything from a diaper to worn out slippers-we find everything in our lakes. It is so disturbing because it is water and water is the basis of life. How can we not care for these water bodies? We use this garbage for landfill with no or minimal exposure to the outside environment. We ensure that the lake area and water-holding are free of garbage so that birds, frogs and snakes can live in peace.
1. What is thrown in lakes?
Ans - Everything from a diaper to worn out slippers are thrown in lakes.
2. Why should we care for water bodies?
Ans - We should care for water bodies because water is the basis of life.
(5) Time Devotion for Students
How much time do school-going children need to devote, in say a week, for an environmental cause? Four hours a weekend - that is two hours on Sundays and two hours on Saturdays. This small beginning is more than enough to ensure larger participation later.
1. How much time should students devote for environment?
Ans - Students should devote four hours a weekend - two hours on Saturdays and two hours on Sundays - for environment.
2. A small beginning.... (Complete the Sentence)
Ans - A small beginning will ensure larger participation later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grammar - Prepositions